Foundations of Earth Science 7th Edition
- Publisher: Pearson
- ISBN-13: 9789332544925
- Pages: 576
- Binding: Paperback
- Year of Pub / Reprint Year: 2015
About The Book
Enhanced for today’s students, the bestselling Foundations of Earth Science returns in a new edition with a bold new look, new contributor Callan Bentley, and a highly anticipated learning path that facilitates active learning. This brief, paperback version of the best-selling Earth Science by Lutgens and Tarbuck is designed for introductory courses in Earth science. It maintains its highly visual, non-technical survey and broad, up-to-date coverage of basic topics and principles in geology, oceanography, meteorology, and astronomy to foster student understanding of foundational Earth science principles.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Earth Science
Unit I EARTH MATERIALS
Chapter 1: Minerals: Building Blocks of Rocks
Chapter 2: Rocks: Materials of the Solid Earth
Unit II SCULPTURING EARTH’S SURFACE
Chapter 3: Landscapes Fashioned by Water
Chapter 4: Glacial and Arid Landscapes
Unit III FORCES WITHIN
Chapter 5: Plate Tectonics: A Scientific Theory Unfolds
Chapter 6: Restless Earth: Earthquakes, Geologic Structures, and Mountain Building
Chapter 7: Fires Within: Igneous Activity
Unit IV DECIPHERING EARTH’S HISTORY
Chapter 8: Geologic Time
Unit V THE GLOBAL OCEAN
Chapter 9: Oceans: The Last Frontier
Chapter 10: The Restless Ocean
Unit VI EARTH’S DYNAMIC ATMOSPHERE
Chapter 11: Heating the Atmosphere
Chapter 12: Moisture, Clouds, and Precipitation
Chapter 13: The Atmosphere in Motion
Chapter 14: Weather Patterns and Severe Weather
Unit VII EARTH’S PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE
Chapter 15: The Nature of the Solar System
Chapter 16: Beyond the Solar System
• Art that teaches and motivates includes high-quality photographs and line art that were carefully selected to aid understanding, add realism, and heighten student interest. The art program is the work of Dennis Tasa, a gifted artist and respected geological illustrator.
• Emphasis on currency and relevance includes broad, up-to-date coverage of topics and principles.
• Strong Readability is achieved through the book’s straightforward language, written to be understood. Clear, readable discussions with a minimum of technical language are the rule.
• Focus on Basic Principles is stronger than ever with the Eleventh Edition, fostering student understanding of basic principles while also addressing topical issues.
• Flexibility for the instructor is achieved through the text’s adaptable organization. Realizing the broad diversity of introductory courses in both content and approach, we have designed each chapter to be as self-contained as possible so that material may be taught in a different sequence according the preference of the inst